Kodokan – Our Dojo
Welcome to the Kodokan Dojo below are a list of the Do's and Don't while training in our Dojo
- Remove your shoes before you step on to the 'Sunoko' (Boarded floor section in the entrance).Video Guide
- Sign in the attendance book. (please note the cleaning rules!
- If leaving your armour in the Dojo please `lay it out' in the prescribed manner so that it can dry properly!
- Ensure the floor has been cleaned before putting your armour out for use. The first person to arrive and sign in cleans the floor before everyone else arrives and they starts putting their Armour on the floor. The last person to sign in cleans the floor after the session. Help out if needs be, so the session can be started on time and ended accordingly.
- Line up and move quickly at all times especially when asked. It is extremely BAD MANNERS to keep the Sensei waiting, also when Sensei are available for `Free Practice' (of any kind) please make sure they are not standing `waiting for someone to arrive' And because a person arrives late for practice it doesn't mean that they should continue to remain late!! You should ensure that they join the practice as quickly as is possible. It is the Sempai's responsibility to ensure that all of this actually happens!!
- Use 'Hello, Good morning, Good evening, Please Excuse me, Thank you and Sorry' these are customary things to say.
- Help maintain a safe environment. The safety of the floor is of prime importance in kendo. If you notice an unwanted substance on the floor, please pick it up, then either put it inside your Zekken temporarily and put it in the rubbish bin later, or clean the floor with the dust pan & brush. Wipe up any liquids immediately
- Always keep the changing rooms clean and tidy
- Rinse your Kendo-gi after every session or if it's not possible to do that treat with `Fabreeze' or similar products. A Consideration for fellow practitioners in respect of our own personal hygiene should always be on our priority list!
For further information about Kodokan or to arrange a visit then
Telephone: (+44) (0)7785 940670